Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Plans For Social Studies Decided

Originally I planned to begin Story of the World 1 this fall, but decided to wait until first grade as intended. Before diving head-first into something as complex as ancient history, I'd like to give D a more "gentle" introduction to the world. An introduction to the globe, to maps, to the continents, to the many different cultures and customs around the world. And I want to accomplish this through children's literature, which I feel is the best way for D to personalize, understand, and absorb what he's learning. I found the following book on Amazon, and am hoping it will guide me towards a decent selection of book ideas as well as other resources:




Discovering World Geography With Books Kids Love (Eleanor B. English) http://www.amazon.com/DISCOVERING-WORLD-GEOGRAPHY-BOOKS-KIDS/dp/1555919650/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203443559&sr=1-1

Now if only Mr. UPS Man would be so kind as to deliver a package to me today!Once it arrives, I'll be able to get a better feel as to whether or not this will fulfill the geography/history needs for D's Kindergarten year.

No comments: