Tuesday, August 12, 2008

First Day of Homeschooling







D had his first day of school yesterday, and was beside himself with excitement. I put together a bag of supplies for both the boys, filled with brand new crayons, markers, watercolor paint, notebooks, folders, glue, scissors, a ruler and a stash of new pencils (one which says "Homeschoolers Are Cool"). The highlight of the morning was seeing how thrilled D was that his new "school shirt" had arrived. Over the summer I ordered a set of t-shirts for the family with this year's logo printed on it with the intention of wearing them to field trips and other homeschooling-type outings. D saw me designing them on the computer and immediately said "Can we get those for my school?" and requested they come in dark green. How could I resist? Obviously I couldn't, and they arrived just in time for the first day of school.
I wasn't quite as "with it", due to B's sleep issues we've been having this past week. I wake up in the morning feeling like I have a newborn in the house, getting about six hours of very broken sleep at night and trudging through the days in survival mode. Luckily, I had the week planned out and all I have to do is follow my schedule instead of trying to wing it.
B didn't know what to make of our focused attention during D's lessons, and proceeded to climb all over me like the monkey that he is. Luckily I found a chunk of free time in the afternoon to devote to B, who wanted to sit in the new chair and work at the big desk in one of his new sticker workbooks. It's going to be tough to juggle the attention B needs from me with the time I need to give to D. I'm sure it'll all smooth out over the next few weeks.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Happy First Day of School! Love the t-shirts. What do they say? My eyes are getting old:>)

www.thereedfamily-blog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I want T-Shirts!!!! (Maybe when my daughter starts K we'll do that, since they'll be official then!)

Linked here from WTM - Happy 1st Day of School!

Audrey said...

That's great! I love the shirts and the cake! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Very cute idea for the t-shirts!! Looks like a great first day. :)

--Angela in TN (from WTMboards)