Monday, November 3, 2008

A 10-Minute Window Into Our Day

Welcome to Monday morning at the Tin Roof Schoolhouse. Picture this, if you will~ D is asked to work on two pages in his math workbook, consisting of 6 subtraction problems in total. The problems are set up so that D counts the number of objects pictured, and then crosses off however many the problem specifies (i.e. How many shovels are there? ____ Cross off 5. So, 8-5=___.) He insists on working alone, but after a few minutes of fooling around on the very first problem, I tell him I'll have to sit with him and help him. We make it to problem #4, where he is asked to count how many chickens there are:

"Chickens? Chickens!!!!! Who's calling ME a CHICKEN?? Bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk" D says while kneeling on his chair, spinning around in circles and using his arms to 'bawk' like a chicken.

"D, how many chickens are there?" (me)

"Um... a one-and-a two and-a three and-a four and-a five and-a six and-a seven. Hmmmm .... (starts over) a one and-a two and-a three and-a four and-a five and-a six and-a seven. Seven!" spins around in his chair. "Is it time for my break now?" (keep in mind this is the first subject of the day, about 7 minutes into it).

"No, not even close. Could you focus please?"

D writes a seven but extends the top of it too far to the right "Ha ha ha ha. That's a funny 7. It looks like it's wearing a hair-do. Hahahahahahaha!!!!".

"Yes, that is a funny 7," I answer as I am in the process of erasing it, "try it again so it looks nice".

Writes the 7 again. "My favorite number!! I'm done now. Hooray, hooray, I'm done hooray. Hooray, hooray, I'm done for today!!"

"No, not quite. We still have 2 more problems in math and we need to do phonics before you take a break"..... I take a deep breath and head towards the kitchen to sneak some Halloween candy while he finishes the rest. Ten minutes into the school day and mommy already needs to refuel.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I have moments that are so very similar to the one you just described. I had to smile a little and yet it is hard sometimes too. :) Oh, and many is the day that I sneak a piece of chocolate just so I can function.
Also, Tension Tamer Tea has seen me through many a difficult school day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon. As soon as you add the WTM blogring widget code to your sidebar I'll activate your site. Let me know if you need any help.